?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Month zero - The Ex-Communicator

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

September 15th, 2010


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
02:36 pm - Month zero
I am in a unique position, this month. For the first time in my entire life I think I have read every single fiction in a particular fandom. Certainly I think I have read every single slash fic (about five stories total - each one of top quality). The fandom is of course Breaking Bad. It's been incredibly slow getting going. To the extent that literally for the last couple of years if you Googled for 'Breaking Bad fan fiction', you mostly found other people asking where it was. I speak of course of a hypothetical and hypocritical person whose catch phrase is 'I don't read fan fiction'.

Whereas let us say Sherlock: there have been three episodes, and the fanfic writing is already going strong.

OK, why so little? There's almost no Mad Men fanfic either. I think these series are intimidating. They intimidate me. I think they both ask a lot, and conversely, a lot is already provided on screen. The reason BB fans have finally cracked and started writing is because of prolonged baiting by the show, IMHO. Man, they are asking for it!

What there is at the moment is bloody well written, and quite hardcore. Anyway, no doubt it will all take off big-time at some point, and there will be lots of romantic fluffy stuff that I won't read*, but it is quite nice to be able to feel I know the field, and I like it all. A strange and unique position.

(*ETA - I come back to read these words, and it sounds as if I am being dismissive of other people's writing, and I really don't mean to be. I just know what I am like: I prefer less romantic stories. Just my idiosyncrasy. I respect the writing that people do.)

(10 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:altariel
Date:September 15th, 2010 01:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I remember going to fanfiction.net after the first episode of Merlin transmitted, and reading everything that was there. And then they transmitted an episode where Merlin (or was it Arthur) sweated palely in bed while the other threw himself off mountains in order to find the cure (I might be misremembering some elements of this story, but you get the gist) and... woomph.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:September 15th, 2010 02:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What is strange to me is that we are three seasons in. That's thirty or forty hours of broadcast content, and where was the response? In a way I hope it remains limited and hard to find.
[User Picture]
From:kalypso_v
Date:September 15th, 2010 03:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I imagine because it isn't needed; from what you say, the drama is of a high quality and there's plenty of it. Ditto Mad Men. Whereas Sherlock offered two brilliant but flawed episodes*, so the fans are desperate for more, and there's so much to fix.

*I suppose I ought to watch the middle episode again for the commentary, but I can't raise any enthusiasm for the idea.

Edited at 2010-09-15 03:23 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:September 15th, 2010 03:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, I do think fullness repels fanfiction, and gaps encourage it. I am thinking now of Mashall Macluhan's 'hot' and 'cool' media. "Any hot medium allows of less participation than a cool one, as a lecture makes for less participation than a seminar, and a book for less than a dialogue."
[User Picture]
From:squonkfan
Date:September 16th, 2010 03:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think it does involve both intimidation and the fullness of what's there, yes. In terms of the latter, though, Walt/Jesse is a pretty major canonical gap, one that I would have thought people would be rushing to fill in. Perhaps that's where the former issue comes in. The very idea of trying to do another one feels frightening to me for sure, no matter how desperately I want to explore the pairing.

Personally, I think what's breaking people is the prospect of the endless, endless hiatus. Necessity is the mother of fanfic for cable shows with swaths of time in between seasons.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:September 16th, 2010 06:20 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, the hiatus. I know. Sometimes I think the next season will never come. You are right actually, if anything will get me reading and writing fanfic it's the desert of the next 10 months.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:September 16th, 2010 07:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Forgot to say. I can tell that your fiction must be very time-intensive because every sentence is considered. Nevertheless, for selfish reasons, I'd love you to write more. That last one gave me a big thrill.
[User Picture]
From:squonkfan
Date:September 16th, 2010 08:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
Forgot to say. I can tell that your fiction must be very time-intensive because every sentence is considered.

Thank you so incredibly much for saying that. I absolutely think there are people who can churn own fantastic prose in a very short amount of time, so I'm not disparaging anyone here. But I, personally, do put a ton of time into my writing, and it's just super nice to have someone say that they can recognize that.

And of course, I'm thrilled to give you a thrill. :) Aside from the demands of my schooling, the biggest problem I'd have at the moment is, uh, I'd have no idea what to write. BB-wise, my brain is stuck on the "self-indulgent" setting right now; there's not much in there that would actually shake out to a good story. Some of that might be the intimidation factor we were referring to earlier, and some of it might just be some temporary brain drain following the completion of that last one. We shall see what's rattling around in there come the holidays, perhaps!
[User Picture]
From:archbishopm
Date:September 16th, 2010 07:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
LOL, I actually had some rare fanfic muse activity on the Breaking Bad front but it never went anywhere, just as well, it was totally nonpornographic and also it starred Gale :-P
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:September 16th, 2010 07:41 am (UTC)
(Link)
Gale! You know I watch the episodes on my computer, and I find that every Gale scene I have to press pause, get up and walk around because he is just so emotionally painful to watch. The poor lonely man.

Oh, I've got to go to work, but please do write and share it. I wish I could do vids as well because there are just so many great visual images to choose.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com