April 26th, 2010
|02:55 pm - Better than it sounds|
vilakins and astrogirl and others did some fun quiz things, based on the TV tropes section 'Better than it sounds', which gives deceptive précis of well known TV shows and films. Anyway, I think they have taken all the best ones from TV Tropes, but I wanted to do the quiz too, so I made some up.
Here are some descriptions of well known films and TV shows. Can you identify them - helpful hint: none are Mad Men or Breaking Bad. The answers are in comments in case you would like to play.
- Insurance claims adjuster struggles with an inadequate filing system and increasingly bizarre tattoos (identified by kalypso_v)
- Small township seeks incorporation into the wider legislative oversight of the neighbouring democratic state (parental advisory - strong language) (identified by kalypso_v)
- The principle trade of an old and impoverished seaport is in plant alkaloids. This trade is monitored obsessively, via handheld voice transmitters. (identified by kalypso_v)
- An irritable political interrogator investigates and belittles the understanding of those who are trying to learn (identified by mraltariel)
- Those who recycle the detritus of a recently bombed city live lives of desperation, futility and loathing - with hilarious consequences! (identified by splodgenoodles)
- A man confused by changes in gender roles attempts to reconnect with his wife by setting fire to an office block and killing Europeans (identified by splodgenoodles)
- When the world is plunged into war, a band of ancient warriors makes a lonely stand at the edge of the sea (identified by splodgenoodles)
- An entity half formed of living metal descends from the sky to converse with an intelligent mollusc (identified by wwhyte)
- Dwarfed by huge apparatus of unknown function, he is stalked by a remorseless predator. As his body is attacked he can not die but mutates against his will into distorted and inhuman forms. (identified by altariel)
ETA - that was quick
6.A man confused by changes in gender roles attempts to reconnect with his wife by setting fire to an office block and killing Europeans
Correct (ETA - and the rest - that was storming)
Edited at 2010-04-26 02:23 pm (UTC)
And rather good fun, I must see if I can work up a few...
yes indeed - I will edit it up in a moment
3. The Wire
After that I'm stumbling a bit, except that I agree with splodgenoodles
on No. 5.
I got Memento, but as I've not seen the other two, that made it harder :-)
Off topic, the 'magician' card in this tarot set
by graphic artists looks a bit like you
Excellent, thank you!
I've been collecting Magician cards from various tarot decks (mostly from online sites) but I'd never seen that one before.
It's even got my eyes right! ;-)
7 isn't Dad's Army is it?!
Yes, it is, I thought these would be hard
I really want 9 to be Doctor Who. And 7 to be Asterix.
Those both fit don't they, but they are both more childish than that (ETA actually is Dad's Army more or less childish than Asterix?)
Edited at 2010-04-26 02:18 pm (UTC)
4 is "University Challenge".
These are great!
Thanks - and you are right, I hope there was no conferring
Is number 9 "Terminator 2"? But perhaps not - that seems sort of backwards.
No, I tried to make it sound a bit like
|Date:||April 26th, 2010 02:31 pm (UTC)|| |
8. The Magic Roundabout!
|Date:||April 26th, 2010 02:38 pm (UTC)|| |
Yes, I did see that. I like DD.
No, I can see why you say it though. It's the predator whose body is most inclined to be distorted into peculiar shapes, but the prey also gets it sometimes.
I like to think that all your friends list stopped work this afternoon to ponder these.