?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Mitchell(s) and Webb - The Ex-Communicator

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

June 14th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
08:48 am - Mitchell(s) and Webb
While I'm obsessing on politics, here's a great article by David Mitchell in today's Observer. He writes like a dream doesn't he? Modest and yet assertive.

Sir Alan Sugar comes across on TV as exactly the sort of cock who Tory voters like. His brand of "no-nonsense" nonsense and second-hand rhetoric, and his public affirmation that wealth makes what you say more important, are perfectly judged to appeal to the sort of idiot who thinks David Cameron talks a lot of sense, even though all he does is repeatedly bleat "change" like a tramp in a doorway.


And I read in the Guardian interview this week that he still lives in a council flat with a lodger, and he hasn't had a girlfriend for seven years? Ladies of Britain, what the hell are you thinking? Knickers on standby.

Meanwhile, in a shock overthrow of literary convention writer David Mitchell is more conventionally good looking than actor David Mitchell.

BTW - I missed Robert Webb's documentary on poetry last week - I could kick myself, and it isn't on replay any more. How annoying.

(12 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:jekesta
Date:June 14th, 2009 08:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
David Mitchell thinks Sean Connery was the best bond. That's mostly what I got out of that article. I'm going to pretend that's why people aren't dating him.

I'm saying people, because it was very much his pronoun of choice there.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 14th, 2009 08:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
'Seriously, has Doctor No ever been bettered?'
'Unhand me, you brute!'

Fair comment on 'people' - the unattached Gentlemen of Britain can have their knickers on standby too.
[User Picture]
From:matildabj
Date:June 14th, 2009 10:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
I was shocked to read of his living situation as I'd assumed he was married. Now I need to know how I can meet him. :)
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 14th, 2009 11:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, quite
[User Picture]
From:altariel
Date:June 14th, 2009 10:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 14th, 2009 11:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, brilliant, thank you - I will watch that today. Great.
[User Picture]
From:altariel
Date:June 14th, 2009 12:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
:-) I thoroughly enjoyed it, he comes across very well. Did you see any of the others in that? I'm tempted to watch the Cerys Matthews one.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 14th, 2009 12:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
One of the directors at work told me I ought to watch it. She said the Sheila Hancock one was disappointing because she seemed to be unable to see herself as anything but an adjunct to John Thaw,and to play down everything she had achieved in her own right.
[User Picture]
From:valderys
Date:June 14th, 2009 12:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love David Mitchell to bits. Have done for years. Unfortunately, I suspect that any lady that expresses an interest, will automatically be disqualified by David, precisely because they have an interest... Poor love.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 14th, 2009 12:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, that old self-torture game.
[User Picture]
From:khalinche
Date:June 14th, 2009 05:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I sort of hated that Guardian interview tbh, because it felt quite intrusive and like it took advantage of him being naturally a bit socially awkward and overhonest. For the last few paragraphs it was all about how he found it hard to get a girlfriend, and while that's weird, because to me he's as appealing and edible as, ooh, hot buttered radio 4, is it really worth spending so much time on? I was cringing and willing him to shut up: I wanted to hear about his communications stuff (writing, scripts, that kind of thing) and not the raw confusion and loneliness of his singletude. It struck me as a bit glossy magaziney and exploitative.

Now off to read his article: I love his writing style, too.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 14th, 2009 06:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I can see what you mean. I suppose I feel that he is in control of this process, and letting it happen. But perhaps that's because I want it to be true.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com