?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Star Trek ***** - The Ex-Communicator

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

May 8th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:25 am - Star Trek *****
Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian gives Star Trek five stars. That is very unusual for him.

I was just talking to happytune about this. I think Bradshaw has difficulty being fair to genre films, and therefore sometimes he over-compensates. He is trying to be open minded but I feel it is new and uncertain territory for him.

However, I think his judgement is generally good, so I hope he is right about this one.

ETA - nice summary

Why have we filmgoers wasted so much of our time and attention on all those other beta-male bondings and under-par buddy hookups when the greatest friendship of all was right there under our noses? The story of Kirk and Spock is brought thrillingly back to life by a new first generation: Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, who give inspired, utterly unselfconscious and lovable performances, with power, passion and some cracking comic timing. It's a film in which my chief emotion was a kind of grinning embarrassment at enjoying it all quite so much.

(28 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:andrewducker
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
94% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment, so the critics are almost universally in favour.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think that's a very good sign
[User Picture]
From:vilakins
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
redscharlach also thought it was excellent, though I haven't read her review because of spoilers.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, I feel quite the same. I even sort-of-skimmed that one I linked to, though he's generally sensible about spoilers.


Edited at 2009-05-08 08:55 am (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:vilakins
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:10 am (UTC)
(Link)
I was hoping to see it for my birthday but it wasn't out then. We've booked for tomorrow evening at the luxury cinema where they serve you drinks and food in your LAzyboy lounger if you order it. However it's mainly so we get comfy seats without kids kicking the back of it as happened in the last Star Trek film I went too. W00t!

We only go there for blockbuster type films; otherwise the little Berkeley down by the sea is our cinema of choice.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
I wish we had a cinema where they give you drinks and food (and I don't mean toxic nachos) - it sounds like a cabaret!
[User Picture]
From:vilakins
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You can order tapas, savouries, and desserts, all of them good enough to be served at a restaurant; also excellent espresso coffee, tea (presumably), and wine. Waiters bring your order to your set with linen napkins and nice crockery; each pair of seats has a table and lamp between them. At least I hope it's still like that; it was a year or so ago. I've been about 5 times. :-D The chairs and footrests are also adjustable.: ahhh, luxury. The only downside is the distraction from the film when the orders arrive.

I think we're seeing this one on the Sumo screen, the biggest in NZ. I'm glad we're in the back row!

Edited at 2009-05-08 09:04 pm (UTC)
From:cdybedahl
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
I realised I want to see this movie as soon as I was informed that they have Sylar from Heroes playing Spock.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
In the other direction, if he does a good performance it might make me want to watch Heroes.
From:cdybedahl
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
Nah. I'm just interested because the mixture of the characters of Sylar and Spock is so epically wrong.

And Heroes is pretty crap. It has three interesting characters and a whole bunch of annoying dimwits.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
The small amount I saw didn't really grab me, but sometimes you need to watch a show for ages to really appreciate it
[User Picture]
From:iainjcoleman
Date:May 8th, 2009 10:07 am (UTC)
(Link)
Heroes is pretty much the opposite of that.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 10:35 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ah, well, no loss then.
[User Picture]
From:despotliz
Date:May 8th, 2009 11:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think the first season of Heroes is worth watching, as a fun fast-paced twisty-plotted superhero show, but don't bother with S2 or 3.
[User Picture]
From:ajr
Date:May 8th, 2009 07:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
IAWTC.
[User Picture]
From:archbishopm
Date:May 8th, 2009 10:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm jazzed for the bit where Spock up and eats everyone's braaaaiiiiins.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 10:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
Is that what Sylar does?
[User Picture]
From:archbishopm
Date:May 8th, 2009 11:01 am (UTC)
(Link)
*skims other comments* Um...how would I know...do I seem like the sort of person who would watch that mindless tri--oh okay fine technically he doesn't literally eat them but up until the beginning of this season it was very much open for debate and therefore naturally I took it as a given 'cause I'm all about the zombies *SMOKE BOMB*
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think I'll go tomorrow
[User Picture]
From:matildabj
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I saw the 5-star review and it made my morning.

Can't wait to see it!
[User Picture]
From:matildabj
Date:May 8th, 2009 08:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
PS ION, what did you think of the Mad Men final episode?
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 8th, 2009 09:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Without giving any spoilers - thought it was great: a really complex ending, wasn't just going through the motions, managed to surprise me. Yeah - what about you?
[User Picture]
From:matildabj
Date:May 9th, 2009 12:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love where it's going this series (read a review somewhere that discussed how it's become more about the women, which I think is true). As you say, a complex ending which leaves many possible directions for the next series to go. Really liked it.
[User Picture]
From:glitterboy1
Date:May 8th, 2009 10:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm looking forward to this one a lot. I hope you enjoy it.
[User Picture]
From:matildabj
Date:May 9th, 2009 12:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Me too - and I love that icon!
[User Picture]
From:glitterboy1
Date:May 11th, 2009 12:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
:-) Thank you!

Spock's Brain may be dreadful, but it's part of the whole, and I still love it.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:May 9th, 2009 12:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think I'll go today
[User Picture]
From:tehomet
Date:May 10th, 2009 10:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The Observer review was positive too, which surprised me, as their reviewer isn't exactly Mr Pop Culture 2009.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com