?

Log in

No account? Create an account
TV and well-being study - follow-up - The Ex-Communicator

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

January 11th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:43 am - TV and well-being study - follow-up
I posted in December about an ongoing research project that I had signed up to. Each week you fill in a poll saying what you have been watching on TV (by genre not by actual show) and a second q'aire about your mood. They give you a list of emotion words and you say how much you have felt that emotion this week.

The hypothesis they are testing is that there is a statistical relationship between particular genres and low self-esteem (Rom Coms were mentioned in the initial publicity). How they unpick this, determine the direction of any causality etc, I couldn't say.

Anyway, I've been doing this every week, and I have really noticed that I give more positive answers now than in mid-December. I think I was tired out then, and probably a bit of post-flu effect. Doing the survey has made me realise how this has improved. I noticed many lj people were feeling wobbly in December, particularly those of you who had gone down with flu. I think there's been a general lifting of spirits around the place lately. Hope this applies to you.

BTW I don't think my lifting of mood has anything to do with telly.

(7 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:vilakins
Date:January 11th, 2009 08:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Perhaps it's because we hope 2009 will be better, or because a lot of people get depressed and/or stressed around Christmas anyway.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:January 11th, 2009 09:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes. I liked Christmas itself, but the month before was hard at our work. But in my case I think it was the flu. I'm getting a jab next year, I don't want to go through that again.
[User Picture]
From:vilakins
Date:January 11th, 2009 09:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I always get a jab. Real flu I've only had twice, but I was so extremely ill the last time (what with my weak chest and all) I never want to risk it again.
[User Picture]
From:glitterboy1
Date:January 11th, 2009 09:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It takes something like this tracking to make us notice gradual changes, but it's helpful, and encouraging in itself, to realise that you're on an upward path. I'm glad that you're feeling more positive. I think I am, too - partly because of rest over Christmas.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:January 11th, 2009 09:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Glad you are feeling more rested. When I signed up to the survey I thought it was a bit of a bore, but in fact it's been quite interesting to see how my answers have changed. December was like an endurance test.
[User Picture]
From:hafren
Date:January 11th, 2009 10:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, with me I think the causality is the other way around - what I watch depends on what mood I am in. If I'm fed up with RL I seek escapism in ancient sitcoms or xhildren's books; If not, I can watch/read more demanding stuff. The second half of December was all sitcoms; now I'm trying to read more books.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:January 12th, 2009 09:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
It's just the same for me. I also listen to more boisterous music when I'm feeling more robust. Classical when I'm fragile.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com