Top.Mail.Ru
Ann vs Jeremy - The Ex-Communicator — LiveJournal
? ?
The Ex-Communicator

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

June 26th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry
04:13 pm - Ann vs Jeremy
Did you see the Newsnight interview between Jeremy Paxman and Ann Coulter? Video replay is available here (click the link below the picture).

The Coulterites crow that 'Ann beat Jeremy'.

I loathe Coulter like a slug in my salad but FWIW I think that if the interview is considered as an end in itself, a battle with no back-story or future implication, then she might be considered to have 'won'. Paxman didn't come across as a man playing for a win, but as a befuddled naif.

'Aren't you worried that you might damage the causes you believe in?' he naively asks. It's a rational question from a rational actor, used to dealing with political animals, whose actions are directed at achieving some end.

'I sell more books!' says Coulter. Because she isn't actually aiming at anything except the proliferation of Ann Coulter. She has no long term strategy, she has no true beliefs, and hence no worries about damaging them.

She says 'There is no evidence for evolution' and Paxman says 'Do you really believe that?'. It is the question of a man who has faith in words as a means to convey thoughts. Ann has no such restraint - words are tokens; she doesn't actually have any abstract beliefs. She 'wins' by saying 'I believe everything I have written, you can take that for granted'. And Paxman has no response.

IMHO the way to beat her is to take her at face value. Not to say 'How can you say such things?', but to say 'You seem quite ignorant'.

ETA - Yipes, I don't know how technorati works but now it's got a link to this blog entry. That was quick.

(20 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:nostalgia_lj
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
IMHO the way to beat her is to take her at face value. Not to say 'How can you say such things?', but to say 'You seem quite ignorant'.

There's a naivety to the right that I find quite disturbing when I think about it.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think Coulter knows what she believes. I don't think she ever works at that level of thought. She's all surface and no depth.
[User Picture]
From:altariel
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've never seen Ann Coulter speak before. She's kind of... thick, isn't she?
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
profoundly ignorant, and worse than that - she has no idea that there is anything better than being what she is - she doesn't want to know about the world outside herself
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I hope everyone who watched it thought she came across as a twerp.

'The Christian destiny of American is night skiiing... do you really believe that?'
'Yes.'
[User Picture]
From:executrix
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
By analogy with
Nancy, Lady Astor: If you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee
Winston Churchill: If you were my wife, I'd drink it:

Coulter: There is no evidence for evolution.
Paxman: And from where I sit, no more is there.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think he was scared to seem ungentlemanly, which is a joke when speaking to that hyena
[User Picture]
From:iainjcoleman
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 26th, 2006 03:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I only got one wrong: on the basis that if it's literate and has a relatively coherent train of though it is written by Hitler :-(
[User Picture]
From:lexica510
Date:June 26th, 2006 06:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've heard several people say that they got 13 out of 14 right, just going on the writing style. That's certainly how I managed 13/14.
[User Picture]
From:dfordoom
Date:June 26th, 2006 10:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The problem with debating loonies like Coulter is that you can end up giving the impression that they're worth debating and that their opinions are worth taking seriously. That's a favoured tactic of fruit loops like the Intelligent Design nuts - if they can persuade evolutionists to debate them it makes it look like there really are two sides to the story.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:June 27th, 2006 08:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
I agree. I don't think there is a good way to 'win' against them, and yes it is like the bloody ID-ers.

I'd like to see Ann Coulter interviewed as if she was an Ali-G style comedian

'I understand that in American there are people who think you are real!'
'Yers ah ayum reeyul'
'Ha ha good one! Do you ever go out of character?'
[User Picture]
From:altariel
Date:June 27th, 2006 09:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
Come back Dennis Pennis, all is forgiven.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:June 29th, 2006 01:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ally G interviewing her would be about right. The woman is a waste of skin she should be ridiculed not interviewed.
[User Picture]
From:andrewducker
Date:July 1st, 2006 09:20 am (UTC)
(Link)
I was trying to think of any good way of interviewing Ann Coulter, and failing.

This, however, strikes me as an effective method.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:July 1st, 2006 09:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
cheers andrew
From:(Anonymous)
Date:July 6th, 2006 11:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think she won, but Jezza failed to ask the right questions. True, to criticise Darwinism she doesn't have to offer an alternative, but she obviously does have an alternative, since she views Darwinism as a 'liberal' agenda, and she talks of anti-christianity in 'liberalism'. He failed as a journalist to force her to contradict herself.
Indeed, if her only goal is to sell books, then simply by being on the programme she has won.
[User Picture]
From:misterfurious
Date:July 7th, 2006 06:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Damned tricky.

Paxman "won" because given the BBC target audience for that show, Coulter came across as a deluded nutter to them. She certainly did to me.

Recycling is a leftist tennet based on faith, just like evolution? Eh? There is solid evidence for both things. Evolution happens, DNA and breeding studies prove it, along with at least ten other easy to grasp ideas and test which can be explained to kids. Recylcing happens, and I have to recycle because they won't empty the bins often enough to take all the rubbish away, so it has to be sorted.

To anyone with a brain and free thought, rather than someone marking on points scoring and style, Paxman simply let her hang herself publically.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:July 8th, 2006 04:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Paxman simply let her hang herself publically

I think this may have been his strategy, and for a Newsnight audience it may have been enough. Hope so.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:January 13th, 2011 11:34 pm (UTC)

Djokovic

(Link)
thanks for post.This article translate for me, my friend Marko
greetings from Camp from Thailand

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com