?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Breaking Bad: End Times - The Ex-Communicator

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

October 3rd, 2011


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
03:48 pm - Breaking Bad: End Times
Last night I had a transparent dream. I was wandering through a despoiled library with empty shelves. Things are running down and getting worse. These are the end times. And then on one of the shelves I saw a three-volume collection of Breaking Bad - for some reason turned into paperback novels. I got the first one out on my library ticket. If the world is coming to an end, might as well have something to read, eh?

The penultimate episode of this season of Breaking Bad presents us with a huge question. I am going to cut all the discussion - bad spoilers below the cut.

A little boy that Jesse cares about was killed, using a poison that Walt created. I think Gus did it, to make Jesse go after Walt (The AV club say Walt has been 'grooming' Jesse to kill Walt, for some time, and this is just right). Other people think Walt did it, as a double-bluff. I will eat my delicious hat if that is the case. Seriously, no. Gus did it. The devil did it. He knew it was the only way to make Jesse hate Walt. There's no way Walt would kill a little boy to make Jesse come back to him.

Anyway, regardless of which theory is right, Jesse himself thinks Gus did it. So Jesse and Walt have teamed up again, to kill Gus. Awesome. I just love it when they are back in harness together.

My prediction for next week's season finale is that it will resemble the climactic scene at the end of LA Confidential when the two who love/hate each other - Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe - hole up at the derelict Victory Motel. There is a massive gun battle, with one man being seriously wounded, and they save each other and forge a permanent bond. I think we will see something like this happen next week. I can not wait. And yet I don't want it to be over.

ETA - well, there is a terrific amount of online controversy about this issue, and I have read good arguments on both sides, though I haven't changed my mind. I wonder whether this is something which will be left open to interpretation. It is is possible we never get a definitive answer.

(15 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:kalypso_v
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I dreamed last night that I was looking after Samantha Cameron, who was heavily pregnant and temporarily my neighbour in a terrace of two-up-two-downs. What was that about?
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The power of love will overcome all fear and hate
[User Picture]
From:kalypso_v
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love Samantha Cameron???
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, you were behaving in a loving way, and that's probably even more admirable when directed to someone on the other side. And her pregnancy suggests some new better thing coming from the old corruption, represented by her git of a husband, and the two-up two-down suggests a return to the authentic roots of survival. Yes. Good omen.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
BTW I went to a veggie restaurant yesterday in Didsbury (roughly), called 'Green'. Do you know it?
[User Picture]
From:kalypso_v
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Greens on Lapwing Lane? About five minutes' walk from here.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:October 3rd, 2011 04:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Probably 'Greens'. That means my daughter lives walking distance from you, unless there's a chain of them. I thought it was a wee bit overpriced, but fun to go to an exclusively veggie restaurant. Currently both my kids are non-carnivore. Where did I go wrong?
[User Picture]
From:happytune
Date:October 3rd, 2011 07:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Non-carnivore is cheaper! :-) Greens v nice - if you're ever in Brighton you must go to Terre a Terre. Even more expensive, but a real 'experience'. Perhaps when S gets his First class degree. ;-)
[User Picture]
From:kalypso_v
Date:October 3rd, 2011 11:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It always confuses me going to a vegetarian restaurant, because I'm not used to having to choose between more than two options.
[User Picture]
From:executrix
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm still behind, but from reading the recaps, Occam's Razor suggests that Gus *did* have the kid poisoned, but not with ricin--he could have given another kid $5 to hand Brock a shake (...probably not from Los Pollos though...) with arsenic or botulism toxin or some other poison.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Gus certainly has access to poison, as we have seen. He had to get the ricin out of Jesse's cigarette packet, so that the finger pointed at ricin and hence Walt. And the symptoms were ricin-like (albeit slightly quicker acting than we thought, but then a child probably suffers more rapidly).

I think Gus must have done it, because it is a brilliant scheme, and it meets all his goals. And Gus knows Jesse will kill in revenge for a child, because he did that last season.
[User Picture]
From:executrix
Date:October 3rd, 2011 03:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The recaps pointed out that it would be hard to poison the kid *with Jesse's cigarette* in the time frame. I think ricin is a misdirect--the onset time is wrong, but there are many other possible poisons and, as you say, Gus is the one with the motive.
[User Picture]
From:squonkfan
Date:October 5th, 2011 06:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
I am not pleased with the potential Gus/ricin device--it just doesn't snap into place for me, story-wise, the way BB's turns normally do. It feels contrived and off, and logistically improbable. However, I am with you that there's no way in hell Walt did it, and I'm quite surprised that people genuinely think as much.
[User Picture]
From:communicator
Date:October 5th, 2011 08:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes. I have changed my mind now; I think it is too odd a strategy for Gus, too weak. Also Giancarlo seems to have a different interpretation of what was going through Gus's mind. I don't think anybody poisoned Brock on purpose - it's either a tragic accident or a different illness - But Jesse and Walt have convinced themselves it was Gus, because they are both a bit mad by this stage.
[User Picture]
From:squonkfan
Date:October 5th, 2011 09:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
But Jesse and Walt have convinced themselves it was Gus, because they are both a bit mad by this stage.

This is precisely what I am thinking/hoping.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com