January 25th, 2011
|01:49 pm - Cat update|
This time last year I was agonising because my Mum and Dad had left their cat with me, and it was perfectly obvious to me that he was dying of Diabetes, but they wouldn't admit it. I got him diagnosed and fixed up while they were out the country, but I was worried that they wouldn't be able to cope with the twice-daily insulin regime. I was proved wrong - they have faithfuly injected him for a whole year, and I am now looking after him again, and he is completely like a new cat. I can see him out the window right now, menacing a squirrel on the fence (the squirrel, oh rodent-fans, is unconcerned). He's literally twice the weight, scampering about the place like a maniac, and he grooms himself now. So, thanks for the online advice which helped me decide it was OK to overrule their wishes and get him sorted out.
Good lord, I'd assumed he was long dead! Delighted to hear that he's flourishing.
In that case I am very glad I posted this. A lot of the trouble turned out to be that they didn't like their vet, and were making excuses not to visit him (I think he was rude to them). My intervention forced them to find a new vet, and she supported them through the problems. My dad manages to do the injecting. All well.
And well done you for putting them on the right course.
Excellent news! Fingers crossed that we can do similar for my parents' cat (diabetes has been ruled out; hopefully it's just colitis causing her blood test results to be all over the place).
I guess you have adopted that cat now? Hope it's not too much trouble, with everything else going on.
If we can return her to health, there's still some hope that the care home might take her -- though being realistic I can't quite see how that could be made to work in practice.
We'd rather not adopt her if we don't have to because she's very aggressive towards our other cats, and we're having enough trouble getting Zeno to accept Ada & Babbage. There again, we've been told that rehoming a cat of her age isn't possible, so we might well have no option.
Oh great! Well done you. I don't think there's any doubt that one should intervene if an animal is suffering; it isn't as if they can do anything about it themselves..
Yes, I think that's right. I was worried that I was imposing an obligation on my parents, but I think their leaving the cat with me made it my responsibility.
What happy news! I'm so glad he's responded so well to the treatment and that you seem to have helped your parents sort out the underlying vet issue.
Yes, thanks, I think they just needed a good shove in the right direction.
I'm so happy to hear this.
i should have posted ages ago about this
Oh, that's wonderful news! thank you for the update.
I well remember the agonising, and this is a delightful update to hear. I'm glad you took that step - and even more so that your parents have risen to the challenge of the injections... Thank you for telling us!
Yes, they did well, because I think it was a daunting thing to take on (both are quite disabled) but coming back from holiday and seeing that the cat was already somewhat better even after a few days of treatment, I think convinced them.
Yay! Thanks for sharing that.
I remember that discussion, and am very glad to hear that the cat is well and the parents have found a more compatible vet.
Yes, I think it is difficult to people of their age to be critical of a professional, but I think he must have been a bit of a prick